2006/05/11 Meeting Notes
These notes are a best effort. Please blog your corrections and commentary.
Welcome, Beyond Broadcast participants!
- May 11: Dan Gillmor
- We’re going around the room talking about our projects. There’s a lot of interest in learning what Courtney does, so we started with her.
- Courtney of Wicked Local Plymouth, a really cool community site owned by a local newspaper chain, told us about what she’s doing with the site, how the newspaper is working to get people involved.
- BI explains what he does with Portals & KM
- DG asks who stays on topic with their blogs. A few of us say we do.
- IN has a question about Technorati’s charts showing the usage of life and death tags. He wants to know why there are such big spikes.
- How do people get access to news in places where people really don’t like the government and are actively working to rise against it, especially if/when the government controls the news?
- ZB, new media consultant, writes a lot about ads he sees, bits from real life, etc., etc.
- Why do I smell pizza so intensely?
- AW: Blogs and Feeds and rowing
- RF: the guy by the door, who is now working off WordPress
- MW: gets a lot of readers through RSS
- EG just IMed to say she and CR got pizza. They’re working late for Beyond Broadcast stuff.
- LW on H20town
- IN pointed out a bad link on our blog.
- One Web Day brainstorming party @ John Harvard’s, Tuesday May 9, 7pm
- Upcoming events of interest:
- Various upcoming & potential stuff on our schedule:
- May 18: Scott Johnson of Ookles
- Dan Bricklin, known for his work on VisiCalc and wikiCalc
- Someone who can fill us in on what’s happening with China and the Internet (RMack? Eric Priest when he returns from Asia?)
- If you want to help shepherd a potential future topic or if you have ideas of your own, please talk to Erica or j. We’d love – and could really use – your help!
- This week:
- Last week: Cambridge Common