- Reverse vigilantism sweeps London, violent crime plummets
- Media company lays off dozens of unskilled bloggers
Audio +/vs. Video
- Is this thing on? Why audio never goes viral. By Stan Alcorn in Digg.
- Pandora faces FCC setback in bid for South Dakota FM radio station. By Jeff John Roberts in Gigaom.
- Radio’s answer to Spotify? Less variety. By Hannah Karp in The Wall Street Journal
- A Conversation With Doc Searls on the Future of Radio. By Brad Hill in RAIN
- Crippled net neutrality threatens to unbalance Internet radio competition. by Brad Hill in RAIN
- Little Raliegh Radio.
Privacy vs. Surveillance
- Surveillance marketing meets sales norms. By Don Marti, responding to The Future of Advertising Hinges on Identity, by Nikhil Sethi in AdAge. Pull-quote: Sethi writes,
A clear value exchange to the consumer will be important for ads to move from the creepy factor to the wow factor.” But that’s the problem. There is no valley of creepiness to get through. One-sided information just keeps getting creepier and creepier the more one-sided it is.
- Everything on Customer Commons.
- The Value of Online Privacy. By Scott Savage and Donald M. Waldman, both of the University of Colorado at Boulder, Department of Economics
- Tiny Constables and the Cost of Surveillance: Making Cents Out of United States v. Jones. By Kevin S. Bankston and Ashkan Soltani in The Yale Law Journal.
- Space Monkey! The Challenge of Providing a Truly Private Personal Cloud and Space Monkey! Real Men Recompile the Kernel, both by Dan Blum
- Ensuring an Open Internet Now and for the Future. By: Tom Wheeler, FCC Chairman.
- Winning and Losing in the Net Neutrality Decision. By Stuart Benjamin in The Volokh Conspiracy.
- Map of the Internet 1.0.
- Who wants competition? Big cable tries outlawing municipal broadband in Kansas. Subhead: Lobbyist for Comcast, Cox, TWC wrote bill to stifle rivals like Google Fiber. By Jon Brodkin in Ars Technica.
- Goodbye personal info collectors. By Sorcha Daly in The Human Layer.
- Paul Graham on Building Companies for Fast Growth. By Issie Lapowsky in Inc.
- Characteristics of the monied like button. By Tom Crowl.
- Meet the robot that makes 360 gourmet burgers per hour. By Brian Merchant in Motherboard.Vice.com.
- The Best Uses for IFTTT’s Location Channel. By Thorin Klosowski on Lifehacker
- Personal finance tracker Mint brings Bitcoin into its fold through Coinbase support. By David Meyerin Gigaom.
- Eagle Scout. Idealist. Drug Trafficker? By David Siegal in The New York Times.