On July 20, 2012 the DPLA Steering Committee held a conference call to discuss candidates for a five-person Nominating Committee that will recommend members for the inaugural DPLA Board. The Steering Committee reviewed a slate of accomplished and diverse candidates and reached consensus on the following individuals:
- David Ferriero, Archivist of the United States
- Carla Hayden, CEO of the Enoch Pratt Free Library, DPLA Steering Committee member
- Deanna Marcum, Managing Director of Ithaka S+R, DPLA Steering Committee member
- Maura Marx, Executive Director of the Open Knowledge Commons, DPLA Steering Committee member
- MacKenzie Smith, University Librarian, University of California, Davis
The Nominating Committee will meet in early to mid-August, most likely virtually or via conference call, to discuss and prepare a slate of candidates for the inaugural DPLA Board. Toward that end, the Nominating Committee will endeavor:
- to propose a geographically, professionally, and racially/ethnically diverse group of candidates;
- to propose candidates who possess a broad view of the library and information technology landscape and can claim experience in a variety of professional contexts;
- to propose a set of candidates that can inspire an actionable, enthusiastic response in the wider library and information technology community; and
- to propose a set of candidates who will seek to fulfill the DPLA’s broad commitment to openness, inclusiveness, and accessibility.
The Steering Committee will approve the proposed candidates.