In light of EPA’s plan to regulate carbon emissions from coal-fired power plants, we wanted to highlight some of the work that HLS faculty have been doing around the issue. Professor Jody Freeman, Director and Founder of ELP, recently wrote a New York Times op-ed “Teaching an Old Law New Tricks” about the legal prospects of using the Clean Air Act to regulate greenhouse gases. Kate Konschnik and Ari Peskoe of the Environmental Policy Initiative published a paper about incorporating energy efficiency programs into the sec. 111(d) rule for existing power plants. Kate and Ari have also published a paper entitled Power Over Pollution: Exploring State Plan Enforcement Under EPA’s GHG Power Plant Rule. This paper describes compliance mechanisms proposed by EPA in the existing power plants rule, and surveys laws in four states to assess their potential to meet EPA’s proposed requirements. Lastly, Kate Konschnik guest blogged for Legal Planet discussing EPA’s statutory authority to issue the sec. 111(d) regulations.
Sign up for ELP News!
In the News
- EPA Gets A Win From the Supreme Court on Global Warming Emissions - Mostly, NPR, June 23, 2014
- Justices Uphold Emission Limits on Big Industry, N.Y. Times, June 23, 2014
- When Courts Admit Their Mistakes, Washington Post - The Volokh Conspiracy, June 1, 2014
- Here's Why an Obama Plan to Regulate Carbon Could Work, Wired, May 30, 2014
- Teaching an Old Law New Tricks, N.Y. Times, May 29, 2014
- Bloggy Supreme Court Often Edits Its Opinions After Delivering Them, Gawker, May 27, 2014
- Post-Decision Revisions of Supreme Court Opinions, Washington Post, May 25, 2014
- Final Word on U.S. Law Isn't: Supreme Court Keeps Editing, N.Y. Times, May 24, 2014
- Obama administration limits on soot pollution upheld by appeals court, L.A. Times, May 9, 2014
- Response to Justice Antonin Scalia Gaffe Offers a Lesson in Partisan Outrage, Washington Post, May 3, 2014
- Richard Lazarus Formally Notified the Supreme Court of Scalia's Error, Legal Planet Blog, April 30, 2014
- Homer nods in EPA v. EME Homer City Generation - UPDATED, Washington Post Blog - The Volkh Conspiracy, April 29, 2014