f/k/a . . . the archives

September 29, 2004

greatest hits?? the spector of bad baseball

Filed under: pre-06-2006 — David Giacalone @ 8:17 pm

It is indeed a wild world — on the heels of Cat Stevens’ deportation, we have hit-meister Phil Spector indicted for murder and the Montreal Expos threatening to bring their hitless brand of baseball to Washington, D.C.

With George Wallace too distracted (by deadlines and billable hours) to post on these topics at Fool in the Forest, the many former editors of this weblog have decided to offer a little commentary. [Click here, if you dare.]

all day rain
on the playing field
a stray dog

… by Tom Painting , from A New Resonance 2: Emerging Voices

As Kobayashi Issa knows,

where there’s people
there’s flies
and Buddhas

translated by David G. Lanoue

shake your buddha

18 Comments

1. Hitless brand of baseball. Sigh. Would you believe me if I told you I was a Montreal Expos fan, or would you think I was just saying that because I like disagreeing with you?

Comment by UCL — September 29, 2004 @ 11:28 pm

2. Hitless brand of baseball. Sigh. Would you believe me if I told you I was a Montreal Expos fan, or would you think I was just saying that because I like disagreeing with you?

Comment by UCL — September 29, 2004 @ 11:28 pm

3. The former, You-See-El.

Comment by David Giacalone — September 29, 2004 @ 11:35 pm

4. The former, You-See-El.

Comment by David Giacalone — September 29, 2004 @ 11:35 pm

5. Well, all I can do now is remember the many, many great years of enjoyment my Spos gave me as I grew up. When I played high school ball I would often emulate the batting stances, fielding styles or pitching wind-ups of the likes of Andrew Dawson, Gary Carter, Tim Raines (the greatest switchhitter and base-stealer in modern baseball), Tim Wallach (mediocre hitter but the finest third baseman in baseball), Steve Rogers, Bryn Smith, Jeff Reardon, the list continues. And in recent years, only tragedy and bad luck prevented the Expos from reaching the World Series, including 1994 when they were dominating Major League Baseball until the players’ strike killed the season. Modern superstars who were discovered by the Expos include Andres Galarraga, Larry Walker, Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson, Moises Alou, and Vladimir Guerrero.

Sniff.

Comment by UCL — October 1, 2004 @ 9:17 pm

6. Well, all I can do now is remember the many, many great years of enjoyment my Spos gave me as I grew up. When I played high school ball I would often emulate the batting stances, fielding styles or pitching wind-ups of the likes of Andrew Dawson, Gary Carter, Tim Raines (the greatest switchhitter and base-stealer in modern baseball), Tim Wallach (mediocre hitter but the finest third baseman in baseball), Steve Rogers, Bryn Smith, Jeff Reardon, the list continues. And in recent years, only tragedy and bad luck prevented the Expos from reaching the World Series, including 1994 when they were dominating Major League Baseball until the players’ strike killed the season. Modern superstars who were discovered by the Expos include Andres Galarraga, Larry Walker, Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson, Moises Alou, and Vladimir Guerrero.

Sniff.

Comment by UCL — October 1, 2004 @ 9:17 pm

7. Sounds bittersweet, UCL.  Take all the time you need to grieve. Who are you rooting for these days?
    On the bright side: the “World” Series will better correlate with our President’s definition of “world” (or at least the part that counts).

I hate to admit it (old and un”American” as it may sound), but Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson are the only names that sound familiar to me.  Wallach? Wasn’t there a third baseman in Baltimore a while back who was darn good? [I grew up in Rochester, NY, whose Red Wings were Baltimore's top farm team.]
    So, can we figure out who you are by looking for a smarty-pants defense lawyer who grew up in Canada?

Comment by David Giacalone — October 1, 2004 @ 10:08 pm

8. Sounds bittersweet, UCL.  Take all the time you need to grieve. Who are you rooting for these days?

Comment by David Giacalone — October 1, 2004 @ 10:08 pm

16. Language Programming

Comment by German Language — September 12, 2005 @ 9:45 am

17. Venice hotels

Comment by Venice hotels — March 2, 2006 @ 2:46 pm

18. Venice hotels

Comment by Venice hotels — March 2, 2006 @ 2:46 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress