- London won it’s bid to host the 2012 Olympics
- I wrote another pageful of notes for my new pet project
- My work made me tingle with excitement and imagination.
A good day.
Guess what? The Spring/Summer 2006 collections have hit the catwalks! Just as the Fall/Winter ’05 vcollections hit the shelves. So, for those wondering what’s next season’s equivalent of this season’s Prada panama hat, Gucci bamboo loafers (from their cruise collection) and classic aviator sunglasses, here’s my buzz-worthy list:
1) Oversized weathered-leather bags from Mulberry – craftsmanship and looks to move a man’s heart
2) Cropped tweed jacket from Miu Miu – the perfect fit for fall, ingenious details. Practically perfect.
3) Patent leather tuxedo shoes from Gucci – the second consecutive F/W season they’ve offered such delectable shoes (which have recently become hard to find) – oh, and remember their blue-velvet tuxedo from last year?
4) Tobacco-coloured polo tee with cream contrast piping from Lacoste – a novel (top-)spin on a favourite classic (yes, I noticed the British English, but I *am* in London, after all).
And special mention goes to the new line of embossed leather goods from Gucci, “la Pelle Guccissima”. Expect to spot these in a first-class cabin near you soon.
And previewing for next summer:
1) The skinny, shiny, light pink tie. Works perfectly with the crisp white shirt and edgy with the plain black shirt. Perfect for the slim silhouettes presented by Alexander McQueen and Alessandro Dell’Acqua.
2) The skinny belt, or even better, the skinny grosgrain ribbon belt. Watch for it.
And for people wondering what to buy in London:
1) Oilskin outerwear from Barbour, suppliers to the Queen.
2) Two-ply Scottish cashmere cardigan (Pringle, John Smedley or Scottish Highlands).
3) A bold-printed shirt from Liberty, Pink or Paul Smith.
Finally, things you should already own:
1) Shoe liners, such as the “cotton step” from Falke. Critical for good foot hygiene while going “sockless” in the summer. The ones that Hugo Boss makes are also passable in a pinch.
2) The summer special edition EDT of Boss in Motion (that’s the shiny green bottle). Light, fruity, slightly floral but still unmistakably masculine. The scent of summer 2005 (if not, my vote goes to Jardin Sur le Nil from Herm