A new news librarian asked me for some professional development resources about the profession. Here’s what I shared with him, in case any of you out there are curious and don’t already know about these resources. I’ve mentioned most of these before, so please pardon the repetition.
- The Special Libraries Association News Division Web site has lots of info about what the division does as well as professional development resources. The SLA News Division is an international association for news librarians. I don’t know of a similar organization with its size and scope.
- The News Division blog, NewsliBlog
- Information about the discussion list for news librarians and other similar and interested professionals and students Newslib, including how to subscribe
- The Special Libraries Association is the parent organization of the News Division. The $125 membership fee includes memberships in one division and a local chapter of SLA, as well as the magazine Information Outlook, which often has interesting articles, and reduced registration rates on the annual conference. Members also have access to a bunch of professional development opportunities and resources.
- There are more organizations of interest, like regional news librarian groups and journalism and library organizations.
- There’s also a news librarian community on Orkut.
Addendum 1/23/05: This weblog has more in the News Librarianship department.