A friend of mine wants to set up a wiki for perhaps 200 people who fly a particular kind of airplane. He’s looking for a recommendation for a hosting service and software. Here are the specs…
- easy to edit. WYSIWYG not required, but simple tags like Mediawiki or Confluence.
- publicly editable, no login required
- revision history, easy to undo page changes
- expect < 200 pages of content max.
- download of attachments, like PDF, PPT required.
- discussion / comments per page.
- searchable, easy to bookmark, generated table of contents
Nice to have:
- highly desirable to take a copy of the entire wiki offline on a smartphon (iPhone, BlackBerry), PDF ok.
- Injecting simple HTML.
- email notifications of page changes.
- separate domain name
- exportable to a neutral format, like XML
- cost under $20/month
General discussion list, blogs, forums not required nor desired.
What makes this a non-obvious question is that the wiki systems that let anyone edit are too public, e.g., Wikipedia. The wiki systems that are private are too private and require people to register before they can tweak.