I served lunch to a four-year-old girl today.
- Child: “What’s on the plate?”
- Grown-Up: “Cod.”
- Child: “What’s that?”
- Grown-Up: “A big fish that lives on the bottom of the ocean. Though unfortunately this one had to die so that we could have our lunch.”
- Child: “How do they catch them?”
- Grown-Up: “Sometimes with lines and hooks but commercial fishermen usually drag nets behind a boat.”
- Child: “I want to see it.”
- Grown-Up [pulling phone out of pocket]: “Here’s a video on YouTube showing a boat near Iceland catching cod.”
When I was growing up it wasn’t practical to watch a video of commercial harvesting of the animal that was simultaneously being consumed. Will this Brave New World of knowledge turn more of the next generation into vegetarians?